Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Peru: Day 3

Hey folks,

Sorry I have not been better about posting. My access to email is limited by (a) the distance of internet cafes, and (b) my inability to locate the "@" symbol on local keyboards. (If you're wondering, Alt-64 is the way to go.)

So far, pretty nice and uneventful time here: I've eaten two servings of Aji de Gallina, watched a couple of good Euro soccer matches on TV, and almost gotten hit by at least three vehicles.* Tomorrow, however, I'll leave for Huancayo--not Junin, plans changed--to begin two or three days of work on a potential documentary on Peruvian sheepherders. I am very excited, and hope I will be able to take at least one or two photos with a friendly camelid or ovid.

More to come soon.

Best,
The Llama

* Crosswalks in Peru, and probably most of South America, are best described as "optional." Years ago, when Bolivia was first implementing crosswalks in its streets, it kicked off the campaign by paying people to dress up as zebras (black and white stripes, get it?) and simply walk back and forth across the crosswalks all day. I am pretty sure that is the first time a zebra has been killed in the Andes.

No comments: